Clients who have children with special needs must deal with a unique set of planning issues. In addition to health, educational, and care planning issues, special needs present complex financial issues for families to address. These planning conversations are as important as they are difficult, and they require a direct but delicate approach. This special needs checklist can be especially helpful for advisors who are not experts in respect to individuals who have special needs.
To help guide your conversations with clients about special needs planning issues, we have created this special needs checklist. It covers key considerations, including:
- Qualification for needs-based public benefits
- ABLE accounts and special needs trusts
- Tax planning opportunities
- Estate planning challenges
- Lifelong support considerations